Welcome to TLR

Divorced proceedings

As far as I'm aware a nikah ( islamic) marriage is against the law in Tunisia.
Holds no legalality either. A lawful marraige ..signing of a contract and signed by 2 witnesses is the law .
Nikah marriages are still performed only if a person is converting to Islam then a legal marriage follows after . Tunisian man cannot by law have more than 1 wife either

Tigerpants

Major Ratslayer
As far as I'm aware a nikah ( islamic) marriage is against the law in Tunisia.
Holds no legalality either. A lawful marraige ..signing of a contract and signed by 2 witnesses is the law .
Nikah marriages are still performed only if a person is converting to Islam then a legal marriage follows after . Tunisian man cannot by law have more than 1 wife either
Yep this is true, they cannot take a second wife in Tunisia as the law of the country trumps islamic rules- its a one wife only country.

Sabotage

Rat Expert
I’m so sorry you’re having to deal with this Joanne and that your child’s bio father is Tunisian. I’m sure he doesn’t care at all about his child. Yet when the child is a teenager close to legal adult he’ll very likely pop up again to use the child’s feeling as an ATM machine.

Joanne

Hi Joanne,

It’s complicated a bit. May I ask a few questions? When you married him did you convert or his he a Christian?
Did you register your marriage in Tunisia at any one of your embassies?
You might need to reach out to the embassy in England to assist you.

According to Syariah law, if any one spouse is in no contact for 6months or more you can request for a divorce on your side and obtain proper documentation.

My advice is for you to seek advice at any local community mosque first if he is a Muslim. They would definitely be able to give advice. I would recommend Regent’s Mosque in London if it isn’t too far. Don’t let him tie you down like this.
Hi no he is Tunisian and we got married over there.. yes the marriage was all legal but I didnt register it In Tunisia at the english embassy no... but we had to sign all the documents of marriage and he kept all the paperwork there with him

Joanne

I’m not sure if the lady who posted is Muslim or not but I’d thought I’d share a bit of my experience as I hope it’ll help your curiosity. As mentioned above in Tunisia to be ‘legally’ married you sign the paperwork as you would in for example England and the country recognises you as a married couple as you are legally married. Me and my husband are both Muslim so we had an Islamic ceremony and then a couple of days later registered the marriage with the country too so it was legal in the eyes of Tunisia. I guess that if the lady is not Muslim and they did not do both ceremonies then they are legally married so has nothing to do with Sharia law.
Yes we are legally married I'm English and he is Tunisian but it was all legal and registered over there in Tunisia

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
Syariah law is universal with all Muslims in every country.
There seems to be misunderstanding here. :)

I thought that you were talking about the country "Syriah" and misspelled it, while in reality, you were talking about "Sharia" ( شريعة ), meaning "islamic tradition", which is, in Malysia, spelled "Syariah", though.

Having cleared that up - no, it is not like you think, because, for example, in Tunisia, the Sharia is not the law of the country (although it is, in parts, influenced by it). It seems you have found that out, so let me add a few more: In Turkey, Sharia also plays no role in the law system and neither does it eg. in Mali, Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Bosnia, Albania and Kosovo.

In some more countries, muslim women are not allowed to marry men of a different religion, while the men can marry women of a different religion (but NOT an agnostic, only one from a book religion!). One must, in fact, have a look into each countries law system - in opposite to what is being said that in general, "each muslim must/have to etc.".

In many western countries, religion does not play a role in marriage, but when people from strict muslim countries would come to a western country and marry there, you will have the bizarre result that they are then legally married in all countries of the world EXCEPT in their own home country. :)

There are more strange outcomes, for example, let's say a muslim man marries a non-muslim woman. Their child is then automatically considered (only by Islam, though) a muslim, and, in the male line the child of the child would also, and its child, and so on, whether the child - or the parents, for that matter - wants it, or not.

However, this is not something special for Islam - some christian churches claimed (or still do) something similar, and some other religions as well (eg. the yesids who can only marry other yesids, or strict judaism). In the end, it all depends on whether one believes in an religion or not - because the whole construct of "religion" will only exist, among and as long as there are believers (while humans will always exists, whether or not one believes in them...).

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
Referring to "registering" a marriage: This is, in most countries, not necessary, because there is a wide international consensus that legal contracts (and marriages) of one country are valid in another country.
Regardless of the marriage having been "legal" in any country, a marriage is always considered to be legal unless it is being contested in a court (and then ruled not valid/legal/whatever), either by one of the couple or the state of the marriage or the state where the couple lives.

Only when you want the marriage to be _actively_ recognised by the state in the state, you must give a note of it - reasons for recognition are usually the claim for any state benefits (welfare, taxes, visum, and so on).

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
We’ve had many problems with death especially- in Syariah law, if the wife has a son then all monies automatically without question is her entitlement. If however she only has a daughter(s) it is obligatory the husbands family to take care for her and her children (very specific right) and not anyone from her family.

Polygamy- a favourite topic amongst all is already forbidden if the husband hides his marriage from the first or second or third wife and is deemed unfit if he uses his wife’s money to marry another (what a turd anyway).
Quite interesting - but do not forget that these examples are not from an "universal" sharia. Other strict muslims countries have different laws regardings these examples.

The sensitive part about intefaith marriages between a Muslim man and a non Muslim woman is that their children will be Muslims.
Yes, as long as someone believes strictly in Islam. After all, people watching the birth of a child will see, right when it comes out, for a short time the sign "muslim" blinking on the forehead, won't they? Else, I could not think of any other certainty which can differentiate between a muslim, jew, hinduist, christian or (put a religion name here) child.
And, to be correct, shouldn't it then not even reflect the actual religion mixture of heritage for the past 5, 10 or 100 generations as, for example, in "3% muslim, 12% Jew, 80% christian, 5% agnostic" (yes, I know, a baby's forehead space is limited...)?

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
Yes it’s different in each country, for example here in Tunisia a Muslim woman is allowed to marry a non-Muslim man.
The problem lies here, BTW, in the details. Some (maybe even all) notaries will refuse to put such a marriage into the books, if there were not 2 male MUSLIM witnesses present at the marriage - even when the couple has married in a different country, where eg. legally, no witness at all is needed. Nothing in Tunisia is as easy as it seems. :)

Etoyoc

Major Ratslayer
Marriage in Islam requires making a spoken offer by the bride’s father or guardian and its acceptance by the groom.
Yes, a marriage in Islam is a "contract" which requires offer and acceptance. In fact, it even has a "refund policy" - when a dowry has been paid, but the marriage is being dissolved before consumation, the woman has to return half or all of the dowry in most countries. :)

ButterflyBee

Major Ratslayer
The problem lies here, BTW, in the details. Some (maybe even all) notaries will refuse to put such a marriage into the books, if there were not 2 male MUSLIM witnesses present at the marriage - even when the couple has married in a different country, where eg. legally, no witness at all is needed. Nothing in Tunisia is as easy as it seems. :)
Of course the concept is here however putting it into practice is a whole other ball game

Sabrina lasser

Major Ratslayer
Hi Joanne,

It’s complicated a bit. May I ask a few questions? When you married him did you convert or his he a Christian?
Did you register your marriage in Tunisia at any one of your embassies?
You might need to reach out to the embassy in England to assist you.

According to Syariah law, if any one spouse is in no contact for 6months or more you can request for a divorce on your side and obtain proper documentation.

My advice is for you to seek advice at any local community mosque first if he is a Muslim. They would definitely be able to give advice. I would recommend Regent’s Mosque in London if it isn’t too far. Don’t let him tie you down like this.
Hannah how are you doing?

Sabrina lasser

Major Ratslayer
Yes, a marriage in Islam is a "contract" which requires offer and acceptance. In fact, it even has a "refund policy" - when a dowry has been paid, but the marriage is being dissolved before consumation, the woman has to return half or all of the dowry in most countries. :)
Wow I feel I’m listening to Rose on the Golden Girls:)

Hannah Rayyan

Ratslayer
Hannah how are you doing?
Hi Sabrina,

It depends on the days. Sometimes I’m great, sometimes I’m numb. I’m not much on social media anymore which was always like that anyway but now even less.
Thanks for asking.
Right now, I’m more freaked out about the doctor telling me I’ll be on morphine hookup after the operation so that I can press on to relieve the pain.
Great so it’s not only dealing with heartbreak pain, it’s physical pain too. So my brain keeps zoning out.

Sabrina lasser

Major Ratslayer
Hi Sabrina,

It depends on the days. Sometimes I’m great, sometimes I’m numb. I’m not much on social media anymore which was always like that anyway but now even less.
Thanks for asking.
Right now, I’m more freaked out about the doctor telling me I’ll be on morphine hookup after the operation so that I can press on to relieve the pain.
Great so it’s not only dealing with heartbreak pain, it’s physical pain too. So my brain keeps zoning out.
I’m so sorry I know all will go well you will be in my prayers! You can zone out as much as you need to keep us up to date, thinking about you! Take care of you now xoxo

SouthernGirl

Major Ratslayer
Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for asking.
I’m so sorry to know you’re in pain and I wish you a quick recovery. Take good care of yourself, Hannah. Big hugs.

Butterflies

Major Ratslayer
Hi Sabrina,

Thanks for asking.
Hi Hannah Rayyan wishing you a good recovery after the operation xxxx. You heart will heal to give it a little more time I know it hurts but now you know more about him and his family how they think women should behave or treat women it is so much a relieve not to have married him I think but it hurts. There will be a nice man who will sweep you of your feet and treat you in a good way. You are a strong sweet lady nobody needs a cry baby like him in your life. Wishing you all the best xxxx

Sabrina lasser

Major Ratslayer
Hi Hannah Rayyan wishing you a good recovery after the operation xxxx. You heart will heal to give it a little more time I know it hurts but now you know more about him and his family how they think women should behave or treat women it is so much a relieve not to have married him I think but it hurts. There will be a nice man who will sweep you of your feet and treat you in a good way. You are a strong sweet lady nobody needs a cry baby like him in your life. Wishing you all the best xxxx
And the mom OMG I hope they are not a tag team glad you are rid of them both!!!! This should improve your heath! They put quite a strain on your mental which effects your physical health and then there is the financial part .....take care missy