Welcome to TLR

Divorcing in Tunisia

Sosh

Junior Rat Expert
And still the saga continues...

Has anyone here from the UK had a divorce take place in Tunisia?
I'm wondering what happens after the divorce is finalised in court. Should I expect to receive papers that will say that I'm now divorced? Is that something I need to specifically request?
Still not sure where I am in the process, ex has gone off radar and with him any updates (though they were lacking even when he did speak to me).
I've got in touch with a translator in Tunisia who is hopefully going to help me find out what's going on. My only comfort is that I did receive court papers back in June so I know that something official is happening.
Is 6 months usual in divorce cases? There were hearings in July and November (so I'm told). It feels like it's dragging on forever.

Yvonne

Staff member

I'm wondering what happens after the divorce is finalised in court. Should I expect to receive papers that will say that I'm now divorced? Is that something I need to specifically request?
Still not sure where I am in the process, ex has gone off radar and with him any updates (though they were lacking even when he did speak to me).
I've got in touch with a translator in Tunisia who is hopefully going to help me find out what's going on. My only comfort is that I did receive court papers back in June so I know that something official is happening.
Is 6 months usual in divorce cases? There were hearings in July and November (so I'm told). It feels like it's dragging on forever.
Here's a link where you can order his birth certificate, there it will show if he is divorced or not. But it can take a while before all the papers are up to date

Yvonne x

MH007

Administrator
Staff member

To be honest as long as you don't intend a holiday in the near future to Tunisia with another man then I wouldn't worry too much - he will make sure the divorce goes through because he will want another shot with someone else.

Was the divorce registered here in the UK?

As @Yvonne said you can get a copy of his birth certificate and that will show his marital status.

MH x

Sosh

Junior Rat Expert
To be honest as long as you don't intend a holiday in the near future to Tunisia with another man then I wouldn't worry too much - he will make sure the divorce goes through because he will want another shot with someone else.

Was the divorce registered here in the UK?

As @Yvonne said you can get a copy of his birth certificate and that will show his marital status.

MH x
As far as I was aware, marriages in Tunisia within the last few years are automatically registered in the UK?

My concern is if I plan to get married again and go to the registry office, they'll want some kind of document proof that I'm divorced.

I'm less bothered about whether I'm divorced or not, more so about being able to prove it.

Yvonne

Staff member
As far as I was aware, marriages in Tunisia within the last few years are automatically registered in the UK?

My concern is if I plan to get married again and go to the registry office, they'll want some kind of document proof that I'm divorced.

I'm less bothered about whether I'm divorced or not, more so about being able to prove it.
When you get his birth certificate it will show he is divorced with this paper you can go to court, get it translated and ask for the divorce judgment. If I was you I would go to the registry office and ask how you can get help in proofing you are divorced in Tunisia, maybe they will know what you need to do to get the correct divorce papers if your rat fails to send them to you. Or try to contact his lawyer and see if he will send your divorce documents

Here's a link I hope it helps you

Yvonne x

Last edited:

Mica

Administrator
Staff member

You can contact an English speaking lawyer in Tunisia. You should be able to see from the court papers which court is/was dealing with it. The lawyer will be able to contact the court and find out what's happening.

Yvonne

Staff member
Yesterday was supposed to be the final hearing. Now this.
At this point I'm inclined to just leave it and figure out how to divorce him in the UK whether he likes it or not. He's had enough time and chances to sort this out the way he wanted.

View attachment 70423View attachment 70424View attachment 70425
I am sorry @Sosh it must be difficult for you in my mind he is playing with you. He had enough time to sort things out I don't think he is doing his best so maybe it's better you start the divorce in the UK

Yvonne xxx

Sosh

Junior Rat Expert
I wish I had just done what I wanted from the start instead of letting him guilt me into doing things his way because I was the one breaking up the relationship. I know he doesn't want to divorce, I just hadn't seriously considered til now that he could be sabotaging the process. As I said to him, the lawyer is a useless piece of shit who apparently knows nothing about how divorce works in his own country.

I will go to Tunisia if he pays all costs and my new man comes with me, because fuck going back to that place without support and protection. Also it'd really fuck him off. Don't think he'll go for that.

Butterflies

Major Ratslayer
I wish I had just done what I wanted from the start instead of letting him guilt me into doing things his way because I was the one breaking up the relationship. I know he doesn't want to divorce, I just hadn't seriously considered til now that he could be sabotaging the process. As I said to him, the lawyer is a useless piece of shit who apparently knows nothing about how divorce works in his own country.

I will go to Tunisia if he pays all costs and my new man comes with me, because fuck going back to that place without support and protection. Also it'd really fuck him off. Don't think he'll go for that.
Be careful @Sosh if you are going to tunisia with your new man your rat can get you for addultary because you are still married to your rat. His lawyer is family from your rat (if I remember correctly) so yes they probably are delaying the divorce.
There is no reason for you to go to Tunisia to get your divorce. When it's finalized in the UK he can do the necessary paperwork in tunisia by himself. You have waited over a year to have it sorted now it's your turn and he can suck it up.

Sosh

Junior Rat Expert
Be careful @Sosh if you are going to tunisia with your new man your rat can get you for addultary because you are still married to your rat. His lawyer is family from your rat (if I remember correctly) so yes they probably are delaying the divorce.
There is no reason for you to go to Tunisia to get your divorce. When it's finalized in the UK he can do the necessary paperwork in tunisia by himself. You have waited over a year to have it sorted now it's your turn and he can suck it up.
I did wonder this, what would happen if he did report me for adultery?
I'm not going he can get fucked. He can work it out with the lawyer.
My only issue with divorcing him in the UK is I know he would make it even more difficult than doing it in Tunisia has been. He's never had an address that can receive mail so I had to send stuff to friends or shops he could collect from.
I'm hoping if I say that I'm not bothered and we can just stay married (I wouldn't want to get re-married for 3+ years anyway), he will decide he is in a rush and he'll make something happen.

Butterflies

Major Ratslayer
I did wonder this, what would happen if he did report me for adultery?
I'm not going he can get fucked. He can work it out with the lawyer.
My only issue with divorcing him in the UK is I know he would make it even more difficult than doing it in Tunisia has been. He's never had an address that can receive mail so I had to send stuff to friends or shops he could collect from.
I'm hoping if I say that I'm not bothered and we can just stay married (I wouldn't want to get re-married for 3+ years anyway), he will decide he is in a rush and he'll make something happen.
Adultery is punishable by law in Tunisia so It's up to you what you will decide now. Why does he even want you to come to tunisia, it's strange he wanted to pay your trip so there could be alternative reasons for that He had enough time. Can't you send all the paperwork to his lawyer?
If he wants to get married he needs a divorce so maybe he will hurry up then.

Sosh

Junior Rat Expert
Adultery is punishable by law in Tunisia so It's up to you what you will decide now. Why does he even want you to come to tunisia, it's strange he wanted to pay your trip so there could be alternative reasons for that He had enough time. Can't you send all the paperwork to his lawyer?
I don't feel comfortable going alone, I'd only want to go if someone was with me but it's not worth the risk.
I don't understand what the problem is. Why even let us start the process if it's just going to end with them saying I need to be there in person. I told him at the start I wouldn't be going back. I've paid £700 (2600tnd) already I'm not spending anything else on it. A quick google tells me that's nearly double what other people have paid, so in my mind if he needs to start a new case he's already had the money for it.

Mica

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was supposed to be the final hearing. Now this.
At this point I'm inclined to just leave it and figure out how to divorce him in the UK whether he likes it or not. He's had enough time and chances to sort this out the way he wanted.

View attachment 70423View attachment 70424View attachment 70425

He's just playing games to try to get you back to Tunisia and/or get more money from you.
This is all bullshit and he's probably never even started anything or got a lawyer.

It is generally cheaper to divorce in Tunisia and you should be able to do ot without attending.
You can find yourself an English speaking lawyer (and communicate by email/phone) and it should cost between 1,000 and 1,500 dinar max.

Having said that, I've been told you can do an online divorce in the UK for £250 so it's worth looking into that first.

Last edited:

Sosh

Junior Rat Expert
He's just playing games to try to get you back to Tunisia and/or get more money from you.
This is all bullshit and he's probably never even started anything or got a lawyer.

It is generally cheaper to divorce in Tunisia and you should be able to do ot without attending.
You can find yourself an English speaking lawyer (and communicate by email/phone) and it should cost between 1,000 and 1,500 dinar max.

Having said that, I've been told you can do an online divorce in the UK for £250 so it's worth looking into that first.
I did have a letter from the court last year so I know that a case was started, but I've had no correspondence with the lawyer ever, just going off what my ex is telling me.
I'm just fed up of it now, time to let him worry about it.

Butterflies

Major Ratslayer
Can I ask I instead off divorce is there any age difference marriages between Tunisian men and foreign woman
I know off 1 in my next town but any. More ???
The things is @Moonshine if they are happily married the woman isn't searching for answers or never had a feeling something is of about the relationship. There was an older lady here at the forum she is about 60 now and he is 10 years younger, I think they are more then 8 years married now. They live together in Tunisia and all goes well. I can't remember her name it's been a while she was online here

Chicco2

Rat Expert
I was told to be in tunisia to sign the divorce paper.But...it was only bullshit,i didnt have to go there,i could divorce him from my country..I have my divorce paper,and i am happy