Welcome to TLR

Rats fishing on the phone?

MissTaken

Junior Rat Expert
Hello everybody!

As you can see I’m an old member but I haven´t been here for a while.
The reason I write now is because a couple of days ago my husband got a call from Tunisia. Since neither of us have any connection to Tunisia he just denied the call. They immediatly called back from another number and he denied and blocked that too. It’s strange because, like I said, we have no connection to the country. We are both from Sweden and have never been to Tunisia.

I have been wondering about that and wanted to ask if this is some scamming thing? Like they call random numbers and hope to catch a prize? How does they get the phone numbers? We can’t think of a way they could get hubbys number.

I thought about you lovely ladies and that you probably have an answer, if anybody knows about skummy rats it’s you :)

Sabrina

Major Ratslayer
Hello everybody!

The reason I write now is because a couple of days ago my husband got a call from Tunisia. Since neither of us have any connection to Tunisia he just denied the call. They immediatly called back from another number and he denied and blocked that too. It’s strange because, like I said, we have no connection to the country. We are both from Sweden and have never been to Tunisia.

I have been wondering about that and wanted to ask if this is some scamming thing? Like they call random numbers and hope to catch a prize? How does they get the phone numbers? We can’t think of a way they could get hubbys number.

I thought about you lovely ladies and that you probably have an answer, if anybody knows about skummy rats it’s you :)
A lot of scammers can now get numbers that look like your number like I get people on my cell phone they have mimicked my number they are from irs or even social sec admin ....morons. But only Tunisia number is my rat. Who knows how they get the numbers!!

MissTaken

Junior Rat Expert
A lot of scammers can now get numbers that look like your number like I get people on my cell phone they have mimicked my number they are from irs or even social sec admin ....morons. But only Tunisia number is my rat. Who knows how they get the numbers!!

I have never heard of that before. Why am I even surprised? I guess I’m just a to honest person. I can’t even imagine most of the things criminal people do to make money.

Butterflies

Major Ratslayer
Hello everybody!

Hi Miss Taken as Sabrina said they either dial random numbers or they got a hold on your husband number by accident and they try their luck in the hope they can trick you. I get loads of fone calls from different countries so I suppose I added somwhere in the past my number online and maybe this is why. Block and delete rats are desperate now without tourist

MissTaken

Junior Rat Expert
Hi Miss Taken as Sabrina said they either dial random numbers or they got a hold on your husband number by accident and they try their luck in the hope they can trick you. I get loads of fone calls from different countries so I suppose I added somwhere in the past my number online and maybe this is why. Block and delete rats are desperate now without tourist

I can understand that they are desperate now but I never thought about phones, just internet. I told the husband that it could be a love rat after his money and a visa when he got the calls. So it made me look around here. You are right, just block and delete strange numbers!
It is so sad that there are people that will pick up the phone and fall for this horrible rats lies :(

Tinker-lulu

Major Ratslayer
I can understand that they are desperate now but I never thought about phones, just internet. I told the husband that it could be a love rat after his money and a visa when he got the calls. So it made me look around here. You are right, just block and delete strange numbers!
It is so sad that there are people that will pick up the phone and fall for this horrible rats lies :(
Tunisian Love Rats don’t spend money calling ordinary phone lines, they use WhatsApp,FB messenger or insta because it’s free.
They must be desperate then but they’re taking a big risk, wow

MissTaken

Junior Rat Expert

Thank you! That is a very interesting article.

Tunisian Love Rats don’t spend money calling ordinary phone lines, they use WhatsApp,FB messenger or insta because it’s free.

That’s what I kind of thought. That the scamming on the phones stopped when the internet came. Mostly because of the cost of calling. It also seem much easier online than calling a lot of numbers randomly and hoping for a lucky break. Sending requests to 50 people are much easier than calling 50. And again, cheaper.

Sabrina

Major Ratslayer
Mine usually sound like China people that kind of accent they call my home #sometimes I pick up and hang up! Annoying but they are out for something ..credit card or ss numbers uh huh yeah I’m that stupid. DUH:sneaky:

Last edited:

Bubbly

Major Ratslayer
They could totally do that.

i know for sure they add random phone numbers on whatsapp checking if the profile picture is that of a girl and back home they also dial random phone numbers hoping a girl would pick up and start a relationship with them (there are articles about that phenomenon too).
They usually lie (how surprising...) and pretend to have a good job (military, doctor...) to get her hooked at first. Then, they start their typical pathetic flirting.

Starlight

Major Ratslayer
The rats must find a rich person to con if they chose the phone. Somebody must help them pay of the giant phone bills after all.
The hotels and rental apartment will sell ur number on for a few dinas dont forget the hotels need your phone number and see your passport so they know ur name address and age nothing is safe anywhere in tunisia ,that's why they keep your passport over night and personal details can be accidentally leaked for a few dinas
In Spain they take u passport write ur passport number down and hand it straight back to you !!
Also ur rat will pay the hotel or apartment with your money over charging u and both the hotelier and rat taking a slice off your money ,so it's best you pay before u leave England to stop all this !! Take care and remember never give personal details out to any one in tunisia and keep your bank card money valuables locked up away from rat boy ,they are the most conniving devious sneaky thief's ever the rat boys +!!!

MissTaken

Junior Rat Expert
The hotels and rental apartment will sell ur number on for a few dinas dont forget the hotels need your phone number and see your passport so they know ur name address and age nothing is safe anywhere in tunisia ,that's why they keep your passport over night and personal details can be accidentally leaked for a few dinas
In Spain they take u passport write ur passport number down and hand it straight back to you !!
Also ur rat will pay the hotel or apartment with your money over charging u and both the hotelier and rat taking a slice off your money ,so it's best you pay before u leave England to stop all this !! Take care and remember never give personal details out to any one in tunisia and keep your bank card money valuables locked up away from rat boy ,they are the most conniving devious sneaky thief's ever the rat boys +!!!

Good varnings, it can’t be said to many times to warn people! We have never been to Tunisia and have no plans of going. Our vacations are to Teneriffe and we always pays cash when we goes to restaurants so nobody can scan our cards. You can’t be to careful with of your money. And never trust anyone you don’t know. Unfortunally sun and drinks and the freedom you feel from being away from home can make you do bad choices :(

Starlight

Major Ratslayer
Good varnings, it can’t be said to many times to warn people! We have never been to Tunisia and have no plans of going. Our vacations are to Teneriffe and we always pays cash when we goes to restaurants so nobody can scan our cards. You can’t be to careful with of your money. And never trust anyone you don’t know. Unfortunally sun and drinks and the freedom you feel from being away from home can make you do bad choices :(
Bad choices are made worse by the rats in tunisia one thing is never get drunk ever keep your safety and dignity intact
Most off the rats are bisexual you can see them with men you know excatly whats going off then the next they are with a woman health safety warning they will do anything and i mean anything for few dinas no respect not even for them selves money yes big respect I know most off the tricks being played!!!!!

Bensalem

Major Ratslayer
Hello everybody!

These are just Call centers, like anywhere in the world, I'm surprised that the number showed up to be from Tunisia though because most of these call centers use VOIP, so They'd call you from Tunisia, India, Morocco, UK etc... but you'd only see a Swedish number.
Maybe it's just a call center that still doesn't have the means to afford a VOIP service.

Anyway, These are perfect scammers, they're hired by worldwide cross-continental and offshore companies so it's not a game ! it's pure business for them, usually if they called you on your Swedish number, I'd recommend you review where and to whom you've provided your number (website, subscriptions etc..)

And just block the number, at least you're lucky because it's just one number that you can easily block.

I've experienced the same thing several times, not from Tunisia though, but when I'm in Greece, these guys call me and they are Greeks speaking Greek, offering the opportunity to win a prize or a "FREE" trial for some sort of a TV subscription, when I'm in France, These guys call me as well, but they're speaking French now, They're usually Tunisians and North Africans, asking me to apply for some sort of Photo-voltaic equipment to be installed

But just try to keep your number private, and don't hesitate to ask them where did they get your number from ? and they must reply to you !! because some companies sell databases and they can be even Swedish ones. so be careful

Sabrina

Major Ratslayer
These are just Call centers, like anywhere in the world, I'm surprised that the number showed up to be from Tunisia though because most of these call centers use VOIP, so They'd call you from Tunisia, India, Morocco, UK etc... but you'd only see a Swedish number.
Maybe it's just a call center that still doesn't have the means to afford a VOIP service.

Anyway, These are perfect scammers, they're hired by worldwide cross-continental and offshore companies so it's not a game ! it's pure business for them, usually if they called you on your Swedish number, I'd recommend you review where and to whom you've provided your number (website, subscriptions etc..)

And just block the number, at least you're lucky because it's just one number that you can easily block.

I've experienced the same thing several times, not from Tunisia though, but when I'm in Greece, these guys call me and they are Greeks speaking Greek, offering the opportunity to win a prize or a "FREE" trial for some sort of a TV subscription, when I'm in France, These guys call me as well, but they're speaking French now, They're usually Tunisians and North Africans, asking me to apply for some sort of Photo-voltaic equipment to be installed

But just try to keep your number private, and don't hesitate to ask them where did they get your number from ? and they must reply to you !! because some companies sell databases and they can be even Swedish ones. so be careful
All foreigners sometimes I mess with them :) half the time I don’t answer my cell phone says scam likely

Bensalem

Major Ratslayer
All foreigners sometimes I mess with them :) half the time I don’t answer my cell phone says scam likely
me too ! sometimes, I try to carry on the conversation with them, sometimes I just let them know that I'm not interested but keep up the convo and sometimes I pretend like I'm not familiar with anything they talk about and somehow this gives them hope so they'd keep trying to convince me, then I'm like " huumm nope " and I hung up

Sabrina

Major Ratslayer
me too ! sometimes, I try to carry on the conversation with them, sometimes I just let them know that I'm not interested but keep up the convo and sometimes I pretend like I'm not familiar with anything they talk about and somehow this gives them hope so they'd keep trying to convince me, then I'm like " huumm nope " and I hung up
One time a nut called and proceeded to say they were from social sec dept my vehicle was involved in an illegal something in Texas I’m like yeah that was me:) but honestly if they get a hold of an elderly person they may give information like ss# and that’s all it takes bank acct info it’s sad

Bensalem

Major Ratslayer
One time a nut called and proceeded to say they were from social sec dept my vehicle was involved in an illegal something in Texas I’m like yeah that was me:) but honestly if they get a hold of an elderly person they may give information like ss# and that’s all it takes bank acct info it’s sad
Damn, I've heard even stories of scammers calling people informing them that they have a virus of some sort and they need access to their computers for a price of course, they'd take out every piece of information, credit card details etc... and disappear ! that's sad

Sabrina

Major Ratslayer
Damn, I've heard even stories of scammers calling people informing them that they have a virus of some sort and they need access to their computers for a price of course, they'd take out every piece of information, credit card details etc... and disappear ! that's sad
Yes I have had that said to me or that they owe me money .. can you go to your computer they say.. I say I don’t have a computer send a check.. morons

yougogirl75

Major Ratslayer
Yes I have had that said to me or that they owe me money .. can you go to your computer they say.. I say I don’t have a computer send a check.. morons
Every month I get one call from Service Canada, saying they have an arrest warrant out for me because of unpaid taxes LOL :D :D :D :D :D
they spoof the phone number to make it look like someone is calling me in my area.
Or how about the one where they text you and tell you that they have a refund for you LOL I mean they are still trying after all these years, I mean feel sad for the senior citizens who they con. The calls are coming from a call centre from India.

Sabrina

Major Ratslayer
Every month I get one call from Service Canada, saying they have an arrest warrant out for me because of unpaid taxes LOL :D :D :D :D :D
they spoof the phone number to make it look like someone is calling me in my area.
Or how about the one where they text you and tell you that they have a refund for you LOL I mean they are still trying after all these years, I mean feel sad for the senior citizens who they con. The calls are coming from a call centre from India.
Yeah you can hear everyone in the background ..duh

MissTaken

Junior Rat Expert

Thank you for your answer. It was very informative and a great reminder!

I actually asked my husband about why he could see that the number was Tunisian without answering. It’s apperently one of the things provided by his phone company. As long as the countrys area code shows he get the real country it’s from. I don’t get how it works but that’s what he said.

I have told him all you have said. He blocked the two numbers so hopefullt that’s enough from them!