Welcome to TLR

Tunisian Arabic and Letter/Number Code Writing

Jayne25

Rat Expert
Can somebody give advice on, not only the translation of things, but also useful words and phrases to be used against the Rats when needed ????
Also, what do they call this language that they write in letters and numbers, and is anybody able to decipher it ????

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
I can translate anything you need. The numbers and letters is how we write in Tunisian Arabic and basic Arabic, each number helps with a certain sound. This can be hard to read for a non speaker, but I’ll do my best to help. I’ll post a little chart later of what each letter sounds like if it helps.

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
I can translate anything you need. The numbers and letters is how we write in Tunisian Arabic and basic Arabic, each number helps with a certain sound. This can be hard to read for a non speaker, but I’ll do my best to help. I’ll post a little chart later of what each letter sounds like if it helps.
Pronunciation
3: throat aeh
5: throat clearing
7: ha
9: ka from throat
ch: sh
rr: rolled r

Hayhud

Major Ratslayer
Dumb question... But do you also say the numbers when speaking or just write them?

Moonshine1

Major Ratslayer
Can somebody give advice on, not only the translation of things, but also useful words and phrases to be used against the Rats when needed ????
Also, what do they call this language that they write in letters and numbers, and is anybody able to decipher it ????
Its a combination off algerian and arabic but only amongst the tunisan as iv tried and the translater will not translate it
Get a arabic or tunisian to translate it for you but trusted
I have a trusted friend in tunisia and she translates this for me i found out so much especially the disgusting things they say between them all
IF They speak to friends in call record then if its in arabic
Im shocked at what I recorded in call and had it translated they said omg omg this is bad im not prepared to say but I will one day to admin
Im shocked at the levels they go to when someone dose them harm!!!! Even to a fellow tunisian friend beware !!!!

Moonshine1

Major Ratslayer
Its a confusing language they know the translater dose not teanslate the words and letters so its like private writing between them all xxx

Jayne25

Rat Expert
Yes, please, Aisha !!!!!!!!

Mica

Administrator
Staff member
Tunisian is a spoken only language, there is no official written version.

They only started writing it since the invention of mobile phones and text messages and they just write it how it sounds so spellings vary.

The numbers represent sounds/letters that we don't have in the Latin alphabet.

This is why you can't buy Tunisian books/magazines or translate with Google translate (although they are currently working on it).

The official written languages in Tunisia are Arabic and French

Jayne25

Rat Expert
Tunisian is a spoken only language, there is no official written version.

They only started writing it since the invention of mobile phones and text messages and they just write it how it sounds so spellings vary.

The numbers represent sounds/letters that we don't have in the Latin alphabet.

This is why you can't buy Tunisian books/magazines or translate with Google translate (although they are currently working on it).

The official written languages in Tunisia are Arabic and French
Even Tunisian/Algerian/Moroccan Arabic differ considerably from ‘pure’ Arabic, I think...............

PixelGhost0

Rat Expert
i can translate directly if needed, and for the question of helpful phrases, its not so easy because as aisha said previously we do commonly use numbers in our text messages, and thats because a few sounds in the arabic lexicon dont exist in latin languages, so most of the times the only to understand it is through practice, as even i, a born and raised tunisian, do have trouble with the numbers that arent too commonly used

Dangerous Beans

Ratslayer
I can help with the translation if needed too @Jayne25 but Tunisian Arabic is not my mother language. The mix of Latin letters and numbers is called Arabish.

Like Chinglish then? Interesting..

Do the numbers replace the letters or do they specify how to pronounce the preceding/succeeding letter? For example in Chinese you have five tones, so if you want to spell the Chinese word for "mom" without diacritics ie tone marks you'd type "ma1ma1", "ma3" for third tone as in "horse", and "ma4" for the fourth tone, "to scold"...

MH007

Administrator
Staff member

Do the numbers replace the letters or do they specify how to pronounce the preceding/succeeding letter? For example in Chinese you have five tones, so if you want to spell the Chinese word for "mom" without diacritics ie tone marks you'd type "ma1ma1", "ma3" for third tone as in "horse", and "ma4" for the fourth tone, "to scold"...
That gives me a headache lol, so confusing!

If it helps anyone I can speak Dutch.........double Dutch :p

MH x

Lass

Major Ratslayer

The numbers replace the letter and represent the specific sound. A basic example would be the word sa7a, here number 7 represents Arabic letter ح as you see ح pronounced as "haa" looks quite similar to a 7. So sa7a is actually pronounced as sahaa. I hope my explanation makes some sense (it does in my head :p)

Dangerous Beans

Ratslayer
The numbers replace the letter and represent the specific sound. A basic example would be the word sa7a, here number 7 represents Arabic letter ح as you see ح pronounced as "haa" looks quite similar to a 7. So sa7a is actually pronounced as sahaa. I hope my explanation makes some sense (it does in my head :p)

Thank you! It does... I think ^^° That is kind of a beautiful way to transcribe words imo, I'm wondering if is there a table or something to compare..

edit: I found this (prolly not the best source but they got the haa' (sp?) right .. my head's already spinning though)

Last edited:

PixelGhost0

Rat Expert

not exactly because the way chinese and arabic work are pretty different, as we use letters in more of a latin way, where a combination of letters and our special diacritics make specific sounds, so the numbers used in tunisian chatting just symbolize that sound and how the word is pronounced is learned through experience, and fun fact we can actually not use the numbers as we have found some forms of shorthand using latin letter combos to express the aformentioned sounds