NetNiet

Zaziki sauce which you can use as a dip with potato chips and shrimps / gamba's

6 cups yogurt, Delice nature
3 cloves garlic squeeze
2 cucumbers
parsley finely chopped
olive oil (1 or 2 tablespoons)

Grate the cucumbers with a grater.
Drain well in a sieve, you can also press down with a saucer.

Mix all together, and about 2 hours in the refrigerator.

(In case of illness after eating this, it is not to me, but to the translator:D )

(PS Monastirienne, I can't buy here the vanille essence, hope to get it next week in Tunis!)

G

Galadriel

It`s lovely NN we make it often as can be very low fat as opposed to some other creamy dips, can also use silken tofu instead of yogurt or farmers cheese, quark.

M

Mona1

Zaziki sauce which you can use as a dip with potato chips and shrimps / gamba's

6 cups yogurt, Delice nature
3 cloves garlic squeeze
2 cucumbers
parsley finely chopped
olive oil (1 or 2 tablespoons)

Grate the cucumbers with a grater.
Drain well in a sieve, you can also press down with a saucer.

Mix all together, and about 2 hours in the refrigerator.

(In case of illness after eating this, it is not to me, but to the translator:D )

(PS Monastirienne, I can't buy here the vanille essence, hope to get it next week in Tunis!)
If you want me to bring some over let me know. Will be in the South in 4 weeks - yay yay yay

M

Mona1

1 fillet white fish (I find river cobbler excellent as its quite a meaty fish)
3 dessert spoons tomato puree
1/2 red onion diced
garlic
1/3 teaspoon red pepper
1/3 teaspoon mixed spice
1/3 teaspoon fish spice
olive oil
2 fish stock cubes
soup rice

Add small amount olive oil, with onion, spices and garlic to a pan and heat till you smell the spices, add tomato puree and stir round for 1-2 mins (burns off the raw tomato taste)
Add stock to 2 pints water and slowly add this to the tomato mixture.
Add the fish and rice.
Season with salt and pepper.

Simmer over a med/low heat for 40 mins then leave till you are ready to serve. I find it better to leave a while then re-heat.

Add lemon juice and serve with crusty bread.
Your lovely recipe inspired me. I made my husband chorba with giant King prawns. He was well happy so thanks for the suggestion.

B

Bergo

Prickly Pears: “King of Fruits” Prized by Tunisians Only When Peeled

Houda Mzioudet | 13 September 2012 | 1 Comment

Ali Briki’s prickly pears in Avenue Farhat Hached, downtown Tunis​
With summer drawing to a close and the beginning of the school year just around the corner, a peculiar Tunisian fruit has recently made an appearance in downtown Tunis’ backstreets. Carts full of red and green prickly pears mixed in with ice dot the streets leading in and out of the main train station of Place Barcelone and the neighboring Bab Jedid market.
“Hindi Thala ya wakkala” (come and eat Thala Hindi), one can hear when walking past these carts of colorful fruits.
Prickly pears, which come from the cactus plant and are nationally known as Hindi (literally meaning Indian), are consumed by a large segment of the Tunisian population for its texture and sweet taste as a dessert. As such, it has garnered the title as the “king of summer fruits.”
“People come mostly to eat prickly pears around lunch time,” Ali Briki, a 38 year-old prickly pear street vendor, told Tunisia Live while serving two customers, who stopped to buy the cactus fruit at around 10 a.m. One of the clients, a professional man in his mid 50s and dressed in a grey suit and white shirt, ate a hara, or four pieces, of peeled cactus fruits before setting off spryly to work.
In spite of the fruit’s prized taste, Tunisians will not go out of their way to pick prickly pears and peel them themselves. The cactus fruit is mostly sought after only once it has already been peeled by the street vendor selling. Customers want to be spared a prickle or two in peeling the cactus and are not willing to expend much effort on what has been known for decades as the “fruit of the poor.”
This tendency to abstain from prickly pears unless peeled has brought about a popular phrase among Tunisians, “looking for Hindi Meqacher (peeled prickly pears).” The expression refers to anyone who seeks out a living without making much effort.
Briki set outs to the streets everyday, displaying his cart full of differently hued prickly pears from morning until 1 p.m. People stop at his cart to buy four prickly pears at half a dinar ($0.30). “I have been doing this job for the last nine to ten years,” he said in a quiet voice. “My father used to have a prickly pear cart in Tunis, and he passed it to me afterwards.”
Briki makes around fifteen dinars a day from selling prickly pears. He, nevertheless, complained that the overall cultivation of prickly pears has decreased in recent years.

Peeled prickly pears (Photo credit: www.ma-planete.com)​
Tunisia has favorable soil for the production of prickly pears of different kinds and colors – green, yellow, violet, red, and orange.
Historically, prickly pears were brought to Tunisia in the 16th century by Moors expelled from the Iberian Peninsula. They brought with them cactus saplings from the southern Spanish region of Andalusia. Originally, prickly pears were brought to Spain from its erstwhile colonies in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America.
Certain areas in Tunisia have become renowned for their harvests of prickly pears.
The towns of Thala and Kairouan are known for the significant amounts of prickly pears they produce for the domestic market, especially that of the capital city Tunis. Thala, in particular, is known for its unique variety of red colored Indian cactus, which is harvested from late August to early September.
Bouarghoub in the northeastern Cap Bon peninsula specializes in varieties of prickly pears known as Bianca, Giallo, and Rosa for their respectively white, yellow, and red hues. The Cap Bon region, historically known for its vineyards, began producing prickly pears 20 years ago.
Briki picks up his daily box of prickly pears from the Bab Jedid market, near the Old Medina. “A box costs me between eight and nine dinars. I usually go in the afternoons when trucks come loaded with prickly pears from Kairouan, Thala, Sidi Bouzid, and Bouargoub,” he explained.
Prickly pears are known for causing constipation if eaten in large quantities so it advised to drink water after eating it. It is still prized for easing the digestion of its consumers. Prickly pears have also medical and therapeutic benefits. They contain fiber, vitamins, proteins, antioxidants, and sugars.
The attraction to prickly pears go beyond their taste. Cosmetics, toiletries and oil (cactus oil) are produced from the plant, which has increased the demand for the production of prickly pears from cosmetics laboratories.
http://www.tunisia-live.net/2012/09...-fruits-prized-by-tunisians-only-when-peeled/

G

Galadriel

Good thing is the cactus used for other purposes anyway.... think it came from Mexico originally keeps livestock from roaming ....

C

catwoman1

maybe a daft question but in Chorba, do you put rice, pasta, barley or what is it? HELP :confused:

G

Galadriel

Waitrose, but any of those items you mentioned . Carluccios online also for Orzo.

T

tunisiandiva

You all make me so jealous. I'd love to cook something simple for my husband when i go but havent a clue. Him and my M.I.L always cook for me. Any simple recipes i could try and the picture for it too. Know the dishes but not always the names. Would like to learn Loubia. I love it x

C

catwoman1

You all make me so jealous. I'd love to cook something simple for my husband when i go but havent a clue. Him and my M.I.L always cook for me. Any simple recipes i could try and the picture for it too. Know the dishes but not always the names. Would like to learn Loubia. I love it x
I got a Tunisian Cookbook off of here and have been using this along with recipes and LOTS of help from the girls here! I thought after nearly 3 years of him being here I had better make the effort :whistle: Mind you I am lucky as he will eat mostly anything I prepare - and believe me I am not the worlds best cook:eek:

T

tunisiandiva

I got a Tunisian Cookbook off of here and have been using this along with recipes and LOTS of help from the girls here! I thought after nearly 3 years of him being here I had better make the effort :whistle: Mind you I am lucky as he will eat mostly anything I prepare - and believe me I am not the worlds best cook:eek:
I thought the same. The amount of time we'v been together i should make the effort :whistle:
I think him and his family think i am totally useless at cooking( Well i am Tunisian food) lol.
Would be nice to surpirise him :);)

C

catwoman1

I thought the same. The amount of time we'v been together i should make the effort :whistle:
I think him and his family think i am totally useless at cooking( Well i am Tunisian food) lol.
Would be nice to surpirise him :);)
Sorry I meant cookbook off Amazon! Is your husband here or there? If he is over there get that book and practice with it and when you go give them all a surprise! x

T

tunisiandiva

Sorry I meant cookbook off Amazon! Is your husband here or there? If he is over there get that book and practice with it and when you go give them all a surprise! x
He's there :( But hopefully not for too long.. Can you tell me the name of the book please cw1! :)

C

catwoman1

Thanx cw1 :)
Now i'm going to look for it.. Cant wait to see his face when i send him out for afew hours and he comes back to MY Tunisian food lol ;)
A few hours of him spent in the coffee shop will give you plenty of time! Especially if there is footie on :D

T

tunisiandiva

A few hours of him spent in the coffee shop will give you plenty of time! Especially if there is footie on :D
Oh yes. Need a Ronaldo match or Club Africa lol... Will i know how to get ingrediants? are they called the same thing as in the book? or do i need an acomplice? lol