Welcome to TLR

Tunisian News & Current Affairs

M

Mango Chutney

This comes as no surprise after recent events, but I like to keep us up to date.

Tunisia extends state of emergency for 1 month

July 6, 2019 at 9:52 am | Published in: Africa, News, Tunisia
Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi gives a press conference in Tunis, Tunisia on November 8, 2018 [Fethi Belaid/AFP/Getty Images]

Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi gives a press conference in Tunis, Tunisia on 8 November 2018 [Fethi Belaid/AFP/Getty Images]

July 6, 2019 at 9:52 am
SHARES
Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi yesterday announced that the country’s state of emergency would be extended for another month.
According to a statement by the Presidency of the Republic, the state of emergency will include “the entire territory of the republic,” with Friday being the first day of the extension period, Anadolu Agency reported.
This comes after the country witnessed three suicide bombings targeting the capital Tunis in the past two weeks, killing one security officer and injuring five others. Three civilians were also injured, one of whom died on Thursday.
Tunisia’s Interior Ministry announced on Wednesday that a terrorist wanted in connection with last week’s suicide bombinghad blown himself up in a suburb of the capital after being surrounded by security forces.
READ: Tunisia detains suspected terrorist for investigations following attacks
In late 2015, a state of emergency was declared in the country following a terrorist incident and has since been extended several times.
The state of emergency provides the Interior Ministry with exceptional powers, including the prohibition of meetings, the prohibition of movement, the inspection of shops at any time, and monitoring of the press, publications, radio broadcasts and cinematic and theatrical performances, without prior authorisation of the judiciary.
Tunisia has witnessed terrorist operations that have escalated since 2013 and killed dozens of security officers, soldiers and international tourists.

D

Deleted member 146

Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi yesterday announced that the country’s state of emergency would be extended for another month.
According to a statement by the Presidency of the Republic, the state of emergency will include “the entire territory of the republic,” with Friday being the first day of the extension period, Anadolu Agency reported.
:thumbsup:

J

Judithlyn

Ya, Tunisia is safe, afterall.....it's a regular occurrence to find explosives under trees :rolleyes:

El-Intilaka neighbourhood: 10 kg of explosives found
03/07/2019 16:28, TUNIS/Tunisia
(TAP)- 10 kg of explosives were found Wednesday in el-Intilaka neighbourhood, Ariana District National Guard sources told TAP.

The explosive devices were hidden under a tree in the couryard of El-Ghofrane mosque. They were taken for testing.

A judicial investigation was initiated to look into a possible link between the explosives seized and last Thursday's double suicide attack in Tunis and the one in Intilika neighbourhod on Tuesday night.

Police reinforcements are presently on the spot to search for explosives and arms in the mosque and its vicinity, the same sourcess said.

This follows recent investigations which revealed that "extremely dangerous" terrorists are seeking to target police patrols and sensitive sites in Greater Tunis.

Police investigations are underway after a terrorist, Aymen Smiri, detonated his explosive belt in Intilaka neighbourhood.

To think...tourists still want to visit Tunisia! Really? Russian Roulette might be safer! :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 146

Mounir Baatour is running for President of Tunisia

The 48-year-old lawyer, who has faced arrest himself previously, has led efforts to challenge the law via Tunisian LGBT+ group Association Shams.

Baatour says he would stand for a progressive and modern Tunisia that defends the rights of all people and fights against corruption.

LGBT+ rights campaigner Mounir Baatour
LGBT+ rights campaigner Mounir Baatour (Facebook)
He said: “Tunisia needs a democratic programme that can include the different identities, cultures, beliefs, and languages of this country.

“Our programme aims to democratise power, strengthen the Parliament and give more weight to local institutions.”

Incumbent president Beji Caid Essebsi is not seeking reelection in November.

However, Baatour faces a steep climb to ever gain power, with many in the country rejecting the prospect of a gay leader.

If elected, he would be the first out leader in the Arab world.

J

Judithlyn

I read this yesterday....I’m sure it also said he was pro Israel too. Good luck to the bloke, nice to see a Tunisian that’s honest and has morals....sees people as people, regardless of sexual preferences or religion :)
How refreshing....a politician who is honest AND has morals! The incumbent is not running, so hopefully this guy has a good chance! I sure hope so! The same old, same old will keep Tunisia as the SAME OLD, SAME OLD.....cesspool! :Evil:

J

Judithlyn

Sadly he doesn’t have a hope of being elected. Even the supposedly modern liberals will still not vote for anyone who stands up for gay rights. It’s the typical do as I say not as I do hypocrisy.
IF Tunisia stays the same, then I shall keep preaching to boycott the place! It’s too dangerous, too much corruption, far too much Bezness con artist games, so BOYCOTT! Don’t waste your money and especially don’t LOSE your money funding con artists!!

J

Judithlyn

He doesn’t have a hope in hell, but it’s so refreshing and encouraging to know people like that do exist in Tunisia. When reading forums like this, it’s easy to forget that there ARE good people there :)
You know, I read very occasionally that there are good people in Tunisia, but guess what? I met maybe 200.....ALL were in on this Bezness s*** with me being the blind victim in this ugly, nasty game! :Cry: I’m not so open anymore cause I NEVER met a good Tunisian.....even in my own country! His family HERE were even aware of his Bezness! How low is that? His wife spent ALL day cooking for Abdelhak and I! That shocked me too... that she was so good to me but knew the truth! I met a VERY BAD family...sadly! I HATE that Abdelhak took away my trust and my innocence, but he did!

D

Deleted member 34774

You know, I read very occasionally that there are good people in Tunisia, but guess what? I met maybe 200.....ALL were in on this Bezness s*** with me being the blind victim in this ugly, nasty game! :Cry: I’m not so open anymore cause I NEVER met a good Tunisian.....even in my own country! His family HERE were even aware of his Bezness! How low is that? His wife spent ALL day cooking for Abdelhak and I! That shocked me too... that she was so good to me but knew the truth! I met a VERY BAD family...sadly! I HATE that Abdelhak took away my trust and my innocence, but he did!
While I understand your frustration, there are good Tunisians that hate bezness just as much as we do. They want to live a normal life like we do and be left alone. The issue is, they get drowned out by the rats. I can see your pain and understand how you feel. Can they do more, possibly. But try not to place them all in the same basket if you can. There are a good ones on this thread as well. Hope one day you’re able to get pass this and understand that we can’t allow rats to make us feel they are all this way. They are not. :Cry:

Mystery

Inactive
He doesn’t have a hope in hell, but it’s so refreshing and encouraging to know people like that do exist in Tunisia. When reading forums like this, it’s easy to forget that there ARE good people there :)
Sadly that man put himself in the firing line for all the so called extremists .
Someone will try kill him if not the government themselves it will be some other nutter.
Be gay but don't announce it keep it hidden like bezness.

J

Judithlyn

While I understand your frustration, there are good Tunisians that hate bezness just as much as we do. They want to live a normal life like we do and be left alone. The issue is, they get drowned out by the rats. I can see your pain and understand how you feel. Can they do more, possibly. But try not to place them all in the same basket if you can. There are a good ones on this thread as well. Hope one day you’re able to get pass this and understand that we can’t allow rats to make us feel they are all this way. They are not. :Cry:
I’m past this but I no longer trust naively! Abdelhak and his entire HUGE family only hurt themselves, and their country to me and everybody I know...by pulling this crap! People I know, literally cancelled trips to Tunisia due to him and his deceptions! :thumbsup:He should be a HUGE black mark to his country cause he’s certainly hurt the tourism market! All I know is what I’ve seen, felt, lost, and all of the many creeps which I met! That family is VERY bad! ALL rats are very bad....and Tunisia should put them ALL in prison! Fraud is fraud! Until that happens, Stay away from Tunisia! It really is not safe!

J

Judithlyn

If
Sadly that man put himself in the firing line for all the so called extremists .
Someone will try kill him if not the government themselves it will be some other nutter.
If anything happens to him, I will contact the UN, etc.

M

Mango Chutney

Tis incredibly sad :( Tunisia claims to be progressive and tolerant, I know this is not the truth, just words on paper to fool people, but working on LGBT rights would be a massive leap forward.

J

Judithlyn

Tis incredibly sad :( Tunisia claims to be progressive and tolerant, I know this is not the truth, just words on paper to fool people, but working on LGBT rights would be a massive leap forward.
One can only hope and pray! Just get out of that Stone Age mentality, Tunisian rats and enablers! You will help to better yourselves! Your choice in this world....or not!!!!:confused: