Welcome to TLR

Tunisian News & Current Affairs

Tinker-lulu

Major Ratslayer
This video is going viral regarding the situation in Tunisia with the dead bodies, not many Tunisians are aware of this happening otherwise they will take things more seriously.
(I couldn’t download the video but maybe one of the admins might.)

Shocking to know that this is hidden from the population.

BFDF1228-19DA-45A5-8855-F61157E2B5A2.jpeg 148EC093-EE39-47A1-8926-7AAD317676E8.jpeg

Comehere

Rat Expert
There is a heavier police presence at critical roundabouts/intersections, in Monastir especially on the roads that lead in/out of the city, they have a convoy of police vans by the basketball arena in Agba (because that is a road out of the city of Monastir), and they have set up a road block in front of the airport on the side that takes traffic OUT of Monastir.

The police are checking people who are trying to leave the city, and if you don’t have a valid reason, they seem to be turning many away and taking grey cards for vehicles.

Having said that, hotels and beaches are all packed, which leads to to believe this is NOT just to do with the weekend quarantine in the city of Monastir, or to do with the ban on interstate travel. I fully believe this is all in preparation for the protests that are scheduled for tomorrow, 25 July, to set off a new Revolution and get PM Hichem Mishishi out of office.

There is a big protest scheduled in Monastir tomorrow at 11am in from of the municipality building. The promotion for it says it will be a peaceful protest, masks are mandatory, and social distancing will be practiced to the best of abilities.

I have no doubt - especially after seeing pictures and videos, and reading reports that have already come out of some cities - that protests are scheduled for many other cities across the country as well.

News is also coming through that Rioting is already taking place in Sfax.

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
There is a heavier police presence at critical roundabouts/intersections, in Monastir especially on the roads that lead in/out of the city, they have a convoy of police vans by the basketball arena in Agba (because that is a road out of the city of Monastir), and they have set up a road block in front of the airport on the side that takes traffic OUT of Monastir.

The police are checking people who are trying to leave the city, and if you don’t have a valid reason, they seem to be turning many away and taking grey cards for vehicles.

Having said that, hotels and beaches are all packed, which leads to to believe this is NOT just to do with the weekend quarantine in the city of Monastir, or to do with the ban on interstate travel. I fully believe this is all in preparation for the protests that are scheduled for tomorrow, 25 July, to set off a new Revolution and get PM Hichem Mishishi out of office.

There is a big protest scheduled in Monastir tomorrow at 11am in from of the municipality building. The promotion for it says it will be a peaceful protest, masks are mandatory, and social distancing will be practiced to the best of abilities.

I have no doubt - especially after seeing pictures and videos, and reading reports that have already come out of some cities - that protests are scheduled for many other cities across the country as well.

News is also coming through that Rioting is already taking place in Sfax
It’s true, my husband told me this days ago, we will have a revolution. People are tired of the people in power doing nothing… the president can’t even get a word.

MH007

Administrator
Staff member

To all our friends that are in Tunisia please stay safe, stay home if you can and keep in touch on here - you are part of the TLR family.....I actually have a lump in my throat even typing this and feeling really anxious for you.

Love and hugs

MH xxx

Tinker-lulu

Major Ratslayer

@Comehere thanks for the update.
My question is ... what are protests going to achieve if not more misery, I still don’t understand why the government doesn’t close the borders or maybe the formal Heath Minister wanted to do that!
Protests with ppl wearing masks and social distance?? That’s not going to happen.
Innocent ppl are going to suffer even more, the protests organisers and activists should be sought and stopped.
This is not the time for protests but a time to concentrate on fighting this virus.
At the moment all I can read in the Tunisian news is about the winners of the Gold Medals which Tunisia won two, good and congratulations but organising a protest is not the solution to the problem.
This is an internal issue and Tunisia is a small country and as a foreigner this is my opinion.
The tourist go back home and leave the country in a mess, I will feel rather guilty for even going there on holidays and encouraging the borders to continue being opened.
As far as I’m concerned Tunisia is finished this year, let’s hope next year we will visit a “new Tunisia “.
Young ppl who are unemployed and looking for a way out will be participating at this protests.

yougogirl75

Major Ratslayer
In a video published on his official page, National bloc-affiliated MP Mabrouk Korchid warned of the risk of a significant delay in the payment of salaries for the months of July and August 2021.

He explained that the state needs at least 4.5 trillion to be able to pay its foreign debts, as well as the salaries of public officials for these two months.

Added to this is the budget necessary for basic food subsidies and to cover the deficit of certain public enterprises such as STEG and Tunisair.

It will be difficult for the state to manage to have enough revenue to pay such an amount as the income due to taxes has dropped significantly following the health and economic crisis, explained Mabrouk Korchid.

In addition, the state cannot resort to loans, as the complementary finance law has still not been passed by parliament despite the approach of the parliamentary recess, he added.

Thus it is quite possible that the government will resort to late payment of wages and renounce the payment customs established by the former minister in the Bourguiba government, Hedi Nouira, said the MP.
Source cited: https://www.tunisienumerique.com/pa...de-contre-le-risque-dune-catastrophe-absolue/

Last edited:

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
In a video published on his official page, National bloc-affiliated MP Mabrouk Korchid warned of the risk of a significant delay in the payment of salaries for the months of July and August 2021.

He explained that the state needs at least 4.5 trillion to be able to pay its foreign debts, as well as the salaries of public officials for these two months.

Added to this is the budget necessary for basic food subsidies and to cover the deficit of certain public enterprises such as STEG and Tunisair.

It will be difficult for the state to manage to have enough revenue to pay such an amount as the income due to taxes has dropped significantly following the health and economic crisis, explained Mabrouk Korchid.

In addition, the state cannot resort to loans, as the complementary finance law has still not been passed by parliament despite the approach of the parliamentary recess, he added.

Thus it is quite possible that the government will resort to late payment of wages and renounce the payment customs established by the former minister in the Bourguiba government, Hedi Nouira, said the MP.
Source cited: https://www.tunisienumerique.com/pa...de-contre-le-risque-dune-catastrophe-absolue/
Can’t pay people, but politicians have money, more than one mansion with unnecessary things like ivory and gold lined rooms…. Meanwhile Tunisian people expected to live on 400 dinar monthly on average and most rentals that are decent are 650-1100 dinar monthly, how they should eat and pay day to day expenses. Where is all the 4.5 trillion?? Sell some assets of politicians! Do an audit! How they afford these luxuries???

yougogirl75

Major Ratslayer
Can’t pay people, but politicians have money, more than one mansion with unnecessary things like ivory and gold lined rooms…. Meanwhile Tunisian people expected to live on 400 dinar monthly on average and most rentals that are decent are 650-1100 dinar monthly, how they should eat and pay day to day expenses. Where is all the 4.5 trillion?? Sell some assets of politicians! Do an audit! How they afford these luxuries???
I know, politicians are like diapers they are full of crap! This is corruption at its lowest, this is even here where I live yet in Tunisia there is no reprieve for hard working Tunisians to live decently, no social programs to fall on. Yes, the very rich and corrupt should pay more!

Last edited:

Tinker-lulu

Major Ratslayer
Ah yes Aisha1 corruption at its best!!
They pocket the people’s money, most income from exports that comes into the country goes to the government, that’s how they can afford all their luxuries and don’t forget the Swiss bank accounts they have where all their money goes!
When another government is elected they leave the country to enjoy their money saved from their Swiss accounts.
Oh yes, time and time again this is happening, that’s the reason people’s saving disappear from one day to the next!
Arab economic is very unstable right now but if I were you Aisha1 I will take all my savings out and keep with somewhere safe!

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
They pocket the people’s money, most income from exports that comes into the country goes to the government, that’s how they can afford all their luxuries and don’t forget the Swiss bank accounts they have where all their money goes!
When another government is elected they leave the country to enjoy their money saved from their Swiss accounts.
Oh yes, time and time again this is happening, that’s the reason people’s saving disappear from one day to the next!
Arab economic is very unstable right now but if I were you Aisha1 I will take all my savings out and keep with somewhere safe!
I have American bank , we use BIAT here, but no savings

yougogirl75

Major Ratslayer
This a Tunisian government debt crisis, then there will be closure of some banks along with the banks taking people's hard earned money. .
Here, there is insurance on bank accounts, but the greedy institutions suck people dry with charges.
In a pandemic you would think prices should go down but they don't

Tinker-lulu

Major Ratslayer
This a Tunisian government debt crisis, then there will be closure of some banks along with the banks taking people's hard earned money. .
Here, there is insurance on bank accounts, but the greedy institutions suck people dry with charges.
In a pandemic you would think prices should go down but they don't
Yougogirl75 more reason to get your money out and pronto, the pandemic has put prices up to help the economic apparently.
Here in England price of everything has gone up so the consumer has to pay the bill.
Luckily here the banks are very good so far but interest in savings is not very high.

Tinker-lulu

Major Ratslayer
I have American bank , we use BIAT here, but no savings
That’s good but find out if the worst happens how international banks are affected!
As for savings ... keep that with you.
It’s necessary to have a bank account for menial things or if they ask you for official matters , otherwise savings is the main part.
We have a saying here.... DON’T PUT ALL THE EGGS IN ONE BASKET “

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
That’s good but find out if the worst happens how international banks are affected!
It’s necessary to have a bank account for menial things or if they ask you for official matters , otherwise savings is the main part.
My husband and I are us citizen, so I feel comfortable keeping things in American bank. It’s necessary because we have a business in USA, so we use this account often to have automated payments . The only thing that bothers me is everything we make here in Tunisia we still need pay taxes to USA, can’t have your cake and eat it too….

Aisha1

Major Ratslayer
Yes we have similar saying… I agree 100 percent, especially in these times you never know what can happen… I never thought I’d see in my life the government control people movement at the drop of a pin

yougogirl75

Major Ratslayer
Today, the security forces closed the accesses to Avenue Habib Bourguiba in the capital of Tunisia where the demonstration announced by the "25 July Movement" is supposed to take place.